Ismene Chrysochoou-Karter & George Karter Scholarship
The first National Competition in Violin – Ismene Chrysochoou-Karter & George Karter Scholarship took place on Wednesday 11 and Thursday 12 September 2013 at Hotel Grande Bretagne. This competition for postgraduate studients of violin studying abroad is hosted by the Aikaterini Laskaridis Foundation, responsible for organizing the whole event. The donor of the scholarship fund is Mrs. Ismene Chrysochoou-Karter.
The first stage of the competition took place on Wednesday, 11 September 2013, with 6 participants competing. With the unanimous decision of the judges, the following participants (in order of appearance) reached the second stage: Margarita Nastouli, Michail Kanatidis, Leonidas Karabmoulat and Arsenis Selalmazidis.
The second stage of the competition took place on Thursday, 12 September 2013. The judges unanimously decided to award the scholarship to Arsenis Selalmazidis and Margarita Nastouli. A commendation was awarded to Michail Kanatidis, also with the unanimous decision of the judges. A concert was held in the evening of the same day, where the three musicians played works by H. Vieuxtemps, Camille Saint – Saëns and Eugene Ysaÿe.
The event was greeted by Mrs. Marilena Laskaridou, Vice President of the “Aikaterini Laskaridis Foundation” and Mr. Dimitris Themelis, Head of the panel of judges. The three musicians were applauded by the enthusiastic audience.
The event was moderated by Mrs. Kali Kyparissi.
• Dimitris Themelis, Head of the Panel, Professor Emeritus of Musicology of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, PhD University of Munich, former director of the State Conservatory of Thessaloniki
• Pantelis Despotidis, 1st Violin in the Greek National Opera, 1st Violin in the Athens State Orchestra, Professor of Violin in the Athenian Conservatory and the Attiko Conservatory of Athens
• Giannis Tzoumanis, 1st Violin in the Athens State Orchestra, Professor of Violin in the Athenian Conservatory
• Byron Fidetzis, 1st Violoncello in the Athens State Orchestra, Artistic Director and Conductor of the Athens State Orchestra
• Ismene Chrysochoou-Κarter, Violinist, Professor and Director of The Piraeus Society, Professor in the Athenian Conservatory